Website and Blog Support
Blogging on the Embedding Work-with-IT Project
As part of the Embedding Work-with-IT project, pilots will be expected to blog regularly. Blog postings should be informative, updating the community on progress and reflecting on issues and the pilot process. The project blog at http://ewds.strath.ac.uk/work-with-it/Blog.aspx may be used. Alternatively, if you already have a blog setup at your institution that you currently use we can link to your blogs from our site.To keep up to date with blog posts it is advised to subscribe to the RSS feed for the blog or visit it regularly.
First step - Registering
The first step is to register on the Work-with-IT website at: http://ewds.strath.ac.uk/work-with-it/Home.aspx. Once you have registered our support staff will provide you with access to the blog section of the website at: http://ewds.strath.ac.uk/work-with-it/Blog.aspx and also permission to upload documents to a common section of the website.
If you have any problems accessing or using the website to blog, support will be available from Archie MacDonald at the University of Strathclyde (email@example.com) and Cathy Tombs at SEDA (firstname.lastname@example.org).
By definition blogs are usually less formal than project reports and published materials, providing a forum for reflection, where comments and a degree of interaction is expected. It is important the blog postings are easily searchable so as well as considering the content, please also think about the following:
- Title – have a relevant title.
- Suggested category – please allways assign the content to a relevant category in the blog. Multiple categories can be assigned and this should include your pilot if you are one of the pilot studies. Assigning more than one category can be done by using the [ctrl] button with you mouse.
- Keywords/Tags – please add some relevant keywords to the blog meta-information.
- Summary – it might be useful to add a summary to the blog meta-information if the blog is a reasonable length and the first few lines do not reflect the general content of the blog.
Reflective updates should be posted every 1-2 weeks with additional progress reports posted as agreed in the pilot workplan.
Adding documents to blog
The blog does have the ability for you to upload/attach a document to the blog. However for anyone to be able to access it you then need to insert some text and create a link to the resource you have attached. The following is a description of how to do this:
- Uploading/attaching a file: Whilst logged in to the site go to the blog entry you want to add the link and click on the small pen icon on the left to edit it.
- Whilst in edit mode select the “File” option and it will expand to give other options. Under “upload new files” click the “select files” button and this will pop-up a box enabling you to find your file and upload it.
- Next to add a link: make sure you know the name of the file you have uploaded/attached and put some text for the link into the blog.
- Next highlight the text and click on the link icon (a chain on the right side of all the edit options). When the link edit box pops up select "browse server" Which pops up another box. In this second box select file (third of the three options) and then where it says file name look at all the files and select the one you have attached/uploaded.
- Next click on “Use selected link" at the bottom of the second pop-up box and "OK” in the first pop-up box. You should now have some text which is linked to the file.
- You can now save the blog entry by pressing the "update" button at the bottom of the blog.
Feel free to coment on posts. Please always login to post a comment, although this can be done without loging in or registering - it is much better for the project to keep track of who is commenting if you login.